Holland America Line is preparing to unveil “Morimoto By Sea,” a unique dining venture set to make its debut on the Nieuw Amsterdam during its December 16, 2023 voyage. This marks the first standalone restaurant at sea for Chef Masaharu Morimoto.
Onboard, guests can indulge in delectable Asian-inspired cuisine and beverages curated by Chef Morimoto, who also holds the esteemed title of the cruise line’s “Fresh Fish Ambassador.” The menu will place a strong emphasis on fresh fish dishes in alignment with Holland America Line’s newly introduced Global Fresh Fish Program. “Morimoto By Sea” underscores the cruise line’s unwavering commitment to delivering unforgettable culinary experiences to its passengers on every cruise.
“Morimoto By Sea” will be conveniently situated adjacent to the Tamarind restaurant on the Observation Deck. Guests partaking in the Morimoto By Sea experience can relish a multi-course dining adventure that not only celebrates the cruise line’s commitment to fresh fish but also showcases the culinary expertise of Chef Morimoto. The menu will encompass a diverse array of options, including beef, chicken, as well as vegetarian and vegan choices. Those eager to savor the delights of Morimoto By Sea can secure reservations either through Holland America Line’s Navigator App or while on board the ship. Please note that the restaurant features a cover charge of $55 per person, to which an additional 18% gratuity will be applied.
“Featuring cuisine from an esteemed culinary authority like Chef Morimoto in his signature restaurant elevates our specialty dining experience for guests on Nieuw Amsterdam,” said Michael Stendebach, vice president of food, beverage and guest services at Holland America Line. “The menu showcases a symphony of flavors and the freshest ingredients, reflecting the highest standards of culinary excellence from both Holland America Line and Chef Morimoto. We’re thrilled to welcome guests there nightly on Nieuw Amsterdam.”
The launch of “Morimoto By Sea” aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam is part of Holland America Line’s recent introduction of its comprehensive global fresh fish program. This program includes a Morimoto By Sea pop-up experience offered once per cruise on the cruise line’s remaining 10 ships, either in the Pinnacle Grill or Tamarind. The culinary creations featured at Chef Morimoto’s restaurant on the Nieuw Amsterdam, as well as at the pop-up venues and all seafood selections across Holland America Line’s entire fleet, are meticulously sourced from a vast global network of 60 ports, allowing for the inclusion of 80 different types of fresh fish on board.
The restaurant proudly showcases Chef Morimoto’s exclusive selection of alcoholic beverages, which includes the Morimoto Dream Brut Rosé and Morimoto Junmai Daiginjo Sake, perfectly complementing the items on the menu. “Morimoto By Sea” stands as the latest addition to the chef’s illustrious collection of highly acclaimed restaurants worldwide and represents his inaugural venture aboard a cruise ship.
“The creation of this new restaurant has been a new and exciting experience, and I look forward to sharing my culinary passion with guests aboard Nieuw Amsterdam,” said Chef Morimoto. “Morimoto By Sea will bring exceptional flavors and one-of-a-kind dishes to guests sailing around the world with Holland America Line.”
‘Morimoto by Sea’ Menu Selections:
- Sushi Plate: (Vegetarian upon request.) Nigiri with salmon, hamachi, hotate, maki with ebi tempura, Dungeness California, salmon shikai maki.
- Morimoto Fresh Tuna Pizza: Anchovy aioli, Kalamata olive, red onion, jalapeno.
- Tempura Calamari Salad: (Served without calamari upon request.) Quinoa two ways, white miso dressing.
- Pork Gyoza Dumpling: Scallion ginger sauce.
- Tori Ramen Noodles Soup: Soy egg, bamboo shoot, hot creamy broth poured at the table.
- Hamachi Tacos: Chopped sashimi yellowtail, yuzu kosho-oil, guacamole, red onion, cilantro.
- Sticky Ribs: Hoisin sweet chili sauce, cilantro.
- Crispy Fried Whole Market Fresh Fish: Sweet spicy chili sauce, pickled vegetables.
- Ishiyaki Buri Bop: Fresh Pacific yellowtail on rice, cooked at the tableside in a hot stone bowl.
- Shrimp Three Way “Morimoto Style”: Tempura, panko, and arare-age with tartar, tonkatsu and gochujang sauces.
- Angry Lobster Pad Thai: Maine lobster, rice noodles, Thai red curry sauce.
- Broiled Beef Tenderloin steak: Japanese-style mushroom sauce.
- Chicken Teriyaki, Chicken Oyster Satay: Shichimi togarashi.
- Japanese Vegetable Curry: Tofu steak, seasonal vegetables.
- Slow cooked Alaskan King Salmon: White cream stew.
- Surf & Turf: Wasabi-mayo lobster, grilled wagyu kalbi, vegetables.
- House fried rice, steamed rice or brown rice.
- Wasabi mashed potatoes.
- Wok seared bok choy.
- Basket steamed vegetables.
- Dark Chocolate Sphere: Ganache, marshmallow, milk hot chocolate sauce.
- Baked Tofu Cheesecake: Mango passion, pineapple salsa.
- White Chocolate Lime Ganache: Coconut foam, mango sorbet, rice pudding.
- Sorbet Trio: Chef’s seasonal selection.
Alcoholic Beverages (by bottle & glass):
- Morimoto Dream Brut Rosé.
- Morimoto Grgich Hills Chardonnay.
- Morimoto Grgich Hills Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Sake Junmai Morimoto.
- Sake Junmai Ginjo Morimoto.
- Sake Junmai Daiginjo Morimoto.
- Sake Sparkling Nigori.
‘Morimoto by Sea’ À La Carte Sushi Menu Selections:
- Toro Tartare: Wasabi, nori paste, sour cream, sturgeon caviar.
- Sashimi Salad: Seasonal fish, field mix greens, yuzu soy dressing.
- Crispy Rice: Spicy tuna, spicy salmon, gochujang aioli.
Sushi & Sashimi:
- Chef’s Combination:
- Seasonal White Fish.
- Maguro: Tuna.
- Sake: Salmon.
- Hamachi: Yellowtail.
- Unagi: Freshwater Eel.
- Chutoro: Medium Fatty Tuna.
- Ebi: Shrimp.
- Hotate: Scallop.
- Tako: Octopus.
- Ikura: Salmon Roe.
- Otoro: Fatty Tuna.
- Shrimp Tempura: Avocado roll, tempura shrimp, gochujang aioli.
- Lobster Tempura Roll: Tempura lobster, tobiko, cucumber, scallion, mango sauce.
- Tako Yaki Roll: Tempura octopus, cabbage, tonkatsu sauce, mayo.
- Aburi Salmon Roll: Salmon avocado roll and spicy mayo torched.
- California Roll: Snow crab, cucumber, avocado.
- Spicy Tuna Roll: Tuna, scallion, spicy sauce.
- Spicy Salmon Roll: Salmon, scallion, spicy sauce.
Full details about Chef Morimoto and the global fresh fish program can be found at https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/onboard-experiences/dining/fresh-fish.
For more information about Holland America Line, consult a travel advisor, call 1-877-SAIL HAL (877-724-5425), or visit hollandamerica.com.